By Sharon L. James, Visit Amazon's Sheila Dillon Page, search results, Learn about Author Central, Sheila Dillon,
Selected through selection as a 2012 remarkable educational Title
Awarded a 2012 PROSE Honorable point out as a unmarried quantity Reference/Humanities & Social Sciences
A significant other to girls within the historical World provides an interdisciplinary, methodologically-based selection of newly-commissioned essays from well-liked students at the research of girls within the historical world.
- The first interdisciplinary, methodologically-based number of readings to handle the research of ladies within the historical world
- Explores a extensive variety of subject matters on the subject of girls in antiquity, together with: Mother-Goddess idea; girls in Homer, Pre-Roman Italy, the close to East; ladies and the family members, the country, and faith; costume and Adornment; lady Patronage; Hellenistic Queens; Imperial ladies; girls in past due Antiquity; Early ladies Saints; and plenty of more
- Thematically prepared to stress the significance of historic issues of continuity, improvement, and innovation
- Reconsiders a lot of the well known proof and preconceived notions in terms of girls in antiquity
- Includes contributions from the various such a lot popular students linked to the examine of girls in antiquity
Read Online or Download A Companion to Women in the Ancient World PDF
Best ancient & classical books
In his first publication of Satires, written within the past due, violent days of the Roman republic, Horace exposes satiric speech as a device of energy and domination. utilizing severe theories from classics, speech act idea, and others, Catherine Schlegel argues that Horace’s acute poetic statement of antagonistic speech presents insights into the operations of verbal regulate which are suitable to his time and to ours.
The interval of Israel’s Babylonian exile is among the such a lot captivating eras of biblical background. in this time Israel went via its inner most difficulty and the root used to be laid for its such a lot profound renewal. The predicament provoked the production of a wealth of literary works akin to laments, prophetic books, and ancient works, all of which Albertz analyzes intimately in the course of the tools of social heritage, composition feedback, and redaction feedback.
Students have gotten more and more conscious that, regardless of its written literature, old Greece used to be in lots of elements an oral society. within the first significant try to examine the results of this discovery, Dr. Thomas stresses the coexistence of literacy and oral culture in Greece and examines their interplay.
Agonistic or pleasant music trade in idyllic settings types the very middle of Roman pastoral. via studying intimately the evolution of a large choice of literary, linguistic, stylistic, and metrical gains, the current booklet makes a speciality of how politics, panegyrics, elegy, heroic, and didactic poetry functionality as visitor genres in the pastoral host style, ranging from Vergil and carrying on with with Calpurnius Siculus, the Einsiedeln Eclogues and Nemesianus.
- Aphrodite and Eros: The Development of Erotic Mythology in Early Greek Poetry and Cult (Stidies in Classics)
- Poetische Argumentation : die Funktion der Gnomik in den Epinikien des Bakchylides
- Speaking of Siva (Penguin Classics)
- Commentarii De Bello Gallico: Latin-English Vocabulary
- Reading the First Century: On Reading Josephus and Studying Jewish History of the First Century (Wissenschaftliche Untersuchungen Zum Neuen Testament)
Additional resources for A Companion to Women in the Ancient World
She is currently working on a project called Hidden Lives – Public Personae: Women in the Urban Texture of the Roman Empire, for which she received a Vidi grant from the Netherlands Organization of Scientific Research (NWO). She is preparing a book on women's public roles in the cities of the Latin West (outside Rome), that is entitled Hidden Lives – Public Personae: Women and Civic Life in Italy and the Latin West During the Roman Principate. Madeleine M. Henry is Professor of Classical Studies at Iowa State University in Ames, Iowa.
3 Marble votive relief to Artemis, found at Echinos in Thessaly, c. 300 BCE. Lamia Archaeological Museum, inv. AE 1041. Drawing by Glynnis Fawkes. 4 Lapith woman and centaur, west pediment, temple of Zeus at Olympia. Photo: D-DAI-ATH Olympia 3362, Hermann Wagner. 1 Limestone statue of kourotrophos from the North Necropolis of Megara Hyblaea, mid-sixth century BCE. Syracuse, Museo Regionale Paolo Orsi. Photo: © Scala/Art Resource, NY. 3 Italian fibulae types from Syracuse. Nos 1–3: Navicella fibulae; No.
1934. C. dealing with Palestine and Egypt I. New York. P. Elephantine Rubensohn, O. ) 1907. Aegyptische Urkunden aus den Königlichen Museen in Berlin: Griechische Urkunden, Sonderheft. Elephantine-Papyri. Berlin. P. , and Meyer, P. M. ) 1910. Griechische Papyri im Museum des Oberhessischen Geschichtsvereins zu Giessen. Pt. I, nos. 1–35. Leipzig and Berlin. P. Münch. , and Shelton, J. C. ) 1986. Griechische Urkundenpapyri der Bayerischen Staatsbibliothek München, vol. 3, Part I. Stuttgart. P. Oxy.